Nowadays there are many hosting in Cambodia companies that offer a free domain registration with the purchase of a hosting package.
- Register your primary domain with a different party
Many hosting provider now offer a free domain registration with the purchase of a hosting plan. However, it may be better for you to spend an extra $10-$15 and register your primary domain with a different registrar.
I normally use the free domain for my secondary websites that I use for host testing or SEO experiments. That way, if the domain gets tied to that hosting provider and I want to switch, I have not lost untold hours of work on a site I have been building traffic for.
It’s easier to move to a new Cambodian hosting company when you register your domain with a different party. Otherwise, you wind up having to wait for your hosting provider to release your domain. This can get tricky as they are also losing your hosting business.
If you have already registered your domain with your hosting provider, do not panic. You can still transfer it out to a third party registrar. For example, GoDaddy provides you with complete instructions on how to transfer your domain name to their registrar service. There’re many different registrar services you can use in a same way.
- Be careful with your payment method
While it’s convenient to install an automatic payment option with your hosting company, it can cause a nightmare when you wish to cancel. Unscrupulous providers may continue to charge a debit or credit card long after you’ve already cancelled your account.
There are 3 popular payment options when registering for a hosting account. Each type has its own pros and cons.
- PayPal – easy to cancel the subscription yourself from user account panel; built in functions to protect buyers from frauds and theft; you don’t need to reveal your pay card information.
- Debit card – an unethical company may continue to charge your account or you may incur fees trying to stop payment; easier to replace if anything bad happens; you’ll not be charged should the hosting Cambodia provider further charge you after you have cancelled your account.
- Credit card – you must cancel your account to stop charges; depends on your what credit card you use – some banks offer extra protection to sensitive info; others do not.